At Shovlin Mattress Factory, we’re taking precautionary measures to ensure that you and your family are safe while purchasing our mattresses and sleep accessories. Fortunately, we also have pointers for how you can do the same at home. You may be thinking about upping your cleaning protocol around the house to keep yourself and your loved ones safe—and a great place to start is in the bedroom. Similar to our mattress spring cleaning checklist, we’re going to share our top tips for sanitizing your Shovlin products and keeping your sleeping space fresh and clean.
Disinfecting Your Sleeping Space and Accessories
Here are a few ways you can keep things clean and disinfected so you can sleep better at night, worry-free:
Sanitize Your Bedroom
It’s well-known that cleaning and disinfecting surfaces in your house can help stop the spread of germs and bacteria. You can prevent the spread of harmful bacteria and viruses by using appropriate cleaning products and approaches. Just ensure that the products you’re using are certified to be effective against the novel coronavirus if that is your primary concern at this time. We’re aware that it can be hard to access these at this time, but hopefully, you have some on hand.
In the bedroom, you’ll want to make sure that both washable and non-washable fabrics are disinfected according to their care instructions. Non-washable soft surfaces like mattresses, pillows, upholstered furniture, and some types of bedding can benefit from a phenolic disinfecting spray (such as Lysol). You can cover the surface with a mist and allow it to remain wet for at least 30 seconds up to 10 minutes. Rinse these surfaces with clean water after the spray has dried if there’s a chance that the item may end up in one’s mouth. For washable fabric surfaces, you can wash and dry at high heat to kill most of the harmful bacteria and seal the deal with laundry sanitizer. Aim to use a phenolic disinfectant that is bleach-free and safe to use in both standard and high-efficiency washing machines.
Finally, watch out for clothes like outerwear or other accessories that may be strewn about. If these have been exposed to communal germs, you’ll want to disinfect them as well to discourage the spread.
Sanitize Your Mattress
- Remove all your bedding.
- Use an upholstery brush to vacuum your mattress thoroughly.
- Take the time to clean up any stains on your mattress.
- Put your mattress outside for a few hours to air it out. Exposing it to sunlight can help to disinfect by using UV rays. Try to leave it outside for as long as possible and ensure that both sides get a good amount of sun. (If it’s not possible to bring your mattress outside, you can stand up your mattress against an open window as an easy alternative).
- Sprinkle baking soda on your mattress and leave it for an hour to help get rid of any odors. Then, run a steam cleaner over it and leave for 2-4 hours to dry.
- Finally, use an antibacterial spray on your mattress. You don’t need to saturate the mattress for this step to be effective—instead, gently spray and wipe using a clean cloth.
Invest in Great Products
When you invest in top-quality mattresses and sleeping accessories, you’ll want to take better care of them to ensure they last well into the future! Even though our incredible selection of top-quality products, we’re still far less expensive than the name-brand competition. At Shovlin Mattress Factory, we’ll help you get the best quality sleep possible—it’s never been more important for your health and well-being!
Our doors remain open during these trying times, and we’re here to help. Call us or send us an email to schedule a no-contact, private appointment—we’re able to arrange both contactless payment and contactless delivery right to your home! In the meantime, stay safe, keep your head up, and remember that we’re here for you whenever you need us!
Stop sleeping around… Sleep on a Shovlin!